George “Red Buck” Waightman (aka George Weightman)


On September 25, 1889, prisoner George “Red Buck” Waightman (aka Weightman), charged with horse theft, was en route by train to Fort Worth, Texas, accompanied by Deputy-Marshal Nestor and fellow prisoner George Lee.  During the train ride, the two prisoners were granted permission to visit the “water-closet”, wherein Red Buck soaped his hands, slipped off his handcuffs which bound him to his fellow prisoner, raised the train window, and jumped out.  This was Red Buck’s third escape in three months.  (As reported in the Fort Worth Daily Gazette on Sept. 26, 1889.)

Red Buck Waightman became one of the cruelest of the outlaws of the Wild West.  He joined the Doolin-Dalton Gang, but was ousted from the gang by Bill Doolin himself due to Red Buck’s vicious desire to kill.  But Red Buck would go on to form his own gang.  One of his gang members was George “Hookey” Miller, a Texas lawman turned outlaw.  In February 1896, however, U.S. Deputy Marshals in Custer County, Oklahoma Territory, had formed a posse and were tracking down these two men when Red Buck and Miller had stopped at a residence owned by W. W. Glover to seek shelter during a bitterly cold winter night.  Glover welcomed the two men into his home, but then rode into town to inform the posse as to Red Buck and Miller’s whereabouts.  Glover’s intent was to collect the bounty that was on the outlaws’ heads.  Glover only agreed to lead the posse to the outlaws with the assurance that he would be protected.  The posse promised Glover protection, but then failed to provide it when needed.  A shootout occurred, during which Glover was killed.  Red Buck and Miller escaped, and the posse followed them to Custer County.

On March 4, 1896, again to escape a bitterly cold winter night, the two renegades stopped for the night at the residence of a man named Adolphus Picklesimer.  The posse had somehow been informed of their new location, and the posse surrounded Picklesimer’s residence and waited throughout the night.  A violent shootout took place in the early morning hours, once the two outlaws emerged from hiding inside the residence.  Miller’s gun hand was shattered by shots fired, and Red Buck, having received several bullets, lost his life.  Picklesimer survived the shootout, but he was arrested for harboring fugitives.  Miller, in excruciating pain, was arrested for the murder of W. W. Glover.

The Guthrie Daily Leader. March 17, 1896.

The Guthrie Daily Leader. March 17, 1896.

As reported by The Guthrie Daily Leader on March 17, 1896, Buck Waightman, “one of the boldest criminals that was ever in the territory”, was wearing a fine gold watch when he was killed.  This watch belonged to C. E. Noyes and was taken by Buck and his gang during a robbery at Mr. Noyes’ general store.  Hookey Miller claimed, as reported by the newspaper, that he had taken the watch off Buck’s dead body and hid it in the dugout where they were captured.  With his hand being shot off, Miller said he removed the watch with his teeth and buried it in the dugout with his feet.  The reporter went on to say that Miller talks freely about his partners who have been killed, but refuses to tell anything on those still living.

George “Red Buck” Waightman was buried in Arapaho, Oklahoma, Cemetery.  George “Hookey” Miller, having charges dropped against him for the death of W. W. Glover, was and remained one of the fastest shooters of the West despite the fact that he was now one handed.